The Historic Fitzpatrick Building

The Fitzpatrick Professional Center, Borrone’s Building and The Crosby Group form part of the Redwood City historic commercial district. These three buildings are designated as historic landmarks by the United States Department of the Interior's National Park Service and the Fitzpatrick Building is also the only structure in Redwood City listed on the National Registry of Historic Structures.

The Fitzpatrick Professional Center is composed of two formerly separate structures; the first constructed in 1890 was originally the home of the Pioneer Drugstore. The second building, located on the corner of Broadway and Main was constructed in 1899 as offices for the Bank of San Mateo County, the first commercial bank between San Francisco and San Jose.

photo detail of outside column and cornice

The Renaissance-style building features colossal composite pilasters and massive pediments with heavy cornice blocks. The corner treatment is a typical Queen Ann style. The semi-circular colonnaded-entrance porch supports a bay window and is capped by a high ribbed dome and flag pole.

The bank building received extensive damage to its exterior walls following the 1906 earthquake, and photographs located in the building's lobby show the destruction and the cupola sitting on Main Street. The building sat vacant for nearly forty years until a group of local investors acquired and restored them in 1982. The Fitzpatrick and the original bank buildings were combined, a third floor was added and an annex was blended into the original architecture.

photo of main lobby

The original bank lobby was restored and is used as a reception and lobby area. A walnut paneled conference room was sculpted into the expansive lobby. Sensitive treatment of the original design, abundant use of skylights, stained glass windows, and enhancement of the romanesque arched exterior windows offers distinctive offices and unique public areas throughout the building. The original stained glass Young's Drug Store facia has been incorporated in the Broadway building facade.

photo of ceiling detail

The high coffered ceilings, cornices and detail of the original bank lobby creates visual interest and a grand setting for the commercial use of the ground floor. A columned portico, centered on Broadway, with copper and glass doors offers entry into the Law and Professional Center and other building offices.

Continuing in the grand tradition established in the 1890's, the Professional Center offers attorneys, professionals, and the independent businessperson the opportunity to rent a private office, an office with secretarial area, or a mini-suite. In contrast to the numerous contemporary office buildings located on the Peninsula, the Fitzpatrick Building provides a modern office environment graced with the dignity and distinction of a classic structure.

Telephone reception and message service, shared use of our Comcast Enterprise level fiber internet service, mail processing, high-speed copy reproduction, Smart TV, apple TV, Google Chrome, and other meeting supplies are available on site. Convenience kitchens are located on all three floors with complimentary coffee, tea and hot chocolate. The building offers showers for both men and women.

The building is open to the public Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The Center displays reprints of historical photographs of Redwood City and the South County from 1870 through the turn of the century.

Leasing information

Please call the Fitzpatrick Building at (650) 369-4600. Or email us for more information.

Rental application form.

Looking for convenient office space? Visit The Fitzpatrick Professional Center

Need a family-sized home? Visit Country Sharon Apartments in Menlo Park

Want to live in the heart of tech development? Visit 1988 Bellomy Street Apartments in Santa Clara